OBEC Student Chapters
Join or form an OBEC Student Chapter to expand your knowledge of building science, gain leadership experience and network with the industry leaders. Your involvement with OBEC could also help you become eligible for an OBEC Academic scholarship award which includes a monetary prize, complimentary membership in OBEC for one year, and a one-year mentorship by a building science professional who is a member of OBEC, including guidance on technical issues and career advice. Your OBEC student membership would also provide you with free digital access to the past editions of Pushing the Envelope magazine, and webinars on topic of building science.
Here are the necessary steps to form a new OBEC Student Chapter:
- Become an OBEC member - If you are attending a recognized building science, architectural, engineering or construction program at a college or university program full time, you can apply to become an OBEC student member. Click here to join OBEC.
- Find a Faculty Advisor - The OBEC Student Chapter will need a faculty advisor who is a member of OBEC. If the advisor has never been a member of OBEC, OBEC will provide a FREE one-year OBEC membership.
- Sign an organizing petition - An organizing petition signed by at least 5 OBEC Student Members and a Faculty Advisor is required to form a student chapter. Click here for the organizing petition.
- Submit your petition to the OBEC Board of Directors (Education Committee Chair) for review and approval. Click here to submit your petition.
OBEC student chapter guidelines:
Composition and meetings
- OBEC student chapter shall consist of a minimum of five OBEC student members and a faculty advisor, who also must be an OBEC member. It is recommended that the members of the Student Chapter meet in person minimum once a year.
Events and seminars
- Student chapter should organize events and / or seminars minimum twice a year.
- Events could involve watching and participating online in an OBEC dinner webinar presentation as a group. Webinar presentation will be provided for FREE for the event.
- Events could also involve off-campus industry tours of ongoing building projects, manufacturers, or suppliers.
- In addition, student chapter could organize evening seminars covering a specific subject of interest to students. Speakers should be building science experts from the industry or faculty in appropriate educational institutions. OBEC would support Student Chapter in finding an appropriate speaker if required.
- Limited funding for food and beverage for the events and seminars will be available through OBEC. Each student chapter would be entitled to a maximum of $30 per registered student member at the time of the event (check with your student union as you may be eligible for more funding through your institution). After each event, students are to submit an expense form to Board of Directors (Education Committee chair) for approval and reimbursement. OBEC will not fund any alcohol or cannabis purchases. Click here for the expense form.
- Student members could attend monthly OBEC dinner presentations. Dinner presentations are offered for FREE to a maximum of two (2) registered OBEC student members per institution.
- The Student Chapter is to provide updates to the Board of Directors (Education Committee chair) on their activities once a year.
Awards and scholarships
- OBEC is dedicated to helping motivated students with a passion for building science achieve their educational and career goals by offering several scholarships. Student chapters should encourage local students to apply for these scholarships. Click here to learn more about OBEC scholarships.
OBEC Committee membership
- Student members are encouraged to participate in various OBEC committees. Click here to find out more.
OBEC’s right to disband Student Chapter:
- The OBEC Board of Directors may revoke its support of the student chapter and disband it if the student chapter activities are deemed improper.