Req. # 201425 – Building Science Specialist I
The Building Science Specialist will be an active technical specialist for the building science consulting practice. This person will also be a technical resource for building science projects, focused on building envelope projects including roofing replacements, and restoration/rehabilitation of building envelopes which will be completed by our clients through the Design and Project Delivery Services Group.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Technical investigations and problem-solving
- This position will be a technical resource for building science investigations for BGIS clients. These clients include commercial, institutional, and industrial clients with real estate holdings throughout North America.
- This position will conduct technical building science investigations for existing facilities.
- This position will be responsible for technical findings and recommendations resulting from these investigations.
Writing, reviewing, and editing reports
- This position will be responsible for the creation of work products of the Building Science group, specifically technical reports.
- This position will be responsible for conducting site investigations related to building science issues in order to determine the root cause of the issues raised and to provide options for the resolution of these issues.
- The position will prepare design drawings and documents for the resolution of building science issues. This will include the preparation of design briefs and tender documents that will be reviewed by a senior member of the group.
- As part of the resolution of building science issues, the Building Science Specialist shall provide a construction review to building envelope repair projects. This will involve coordination of contractors, review of their work, and direction on construction issues.
Construction management administration
- This role will also include administration of construction projects including approval of progress draws, deficiency inspections and reports, and contract close-out documents.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- More than 3, up to 5 years of job-related experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work at heights.
- Project management experience.
- Prior experience in building science consulting.
- Technical reports and emails, technical proposals, reply to RFPsProfessional interactions with staff, clients, contractors, and suppliers.
- Negotiation skills with contractors, suppliers, etc.
- Technical problem-solving in the subject area (building science).
Licenses and/or Professional Accreditation
An applicable technical degree – Building Science, Civil or Structural Engineering or Architecture with the applicable professional license (or working towards professional license).
Building Science Specialist – BSS (highly recommended) or actively working towards BSS.
Project Management Professional – PMP.