Building & Material Sciences Manager (Building Envelope
Who are we?
Our in-house Building and Material Sciences team, one of few in the industry, is dedicated to ensuring that the most innovative building techniques and products are available to our clients. They are a multi-disciplined team of technical professionals tasked with solving our industry's most difficult construction challenges and are industry leaders in the diverse fields of concrete technology, building sciences, mass timber, prefabrication, among others.
What is this role?
The Manager of Building and Material Sciences (Building Envelope Manager) is a dynamic and exciting role that will be foundational to establishing and executing on our strategy to mitigate building envelope risk across EllisDon. You will be bringing building envelope subject matter expertise and leading a high performing team focused on taking a practical, constructable,and effective approach to technical risk mitigation.
In This Role You Will:
- Risk - Provide technical expertise and leadership to the company, specifically the project teams, to help mitigate the technical and operational risks associated with a wide range of building envelope scopes. Your role will require a deep understanding of all common envelope systems and will support all types of projects across all 7 domestic areas offices.
- Knowledge Transfer - Be a driving force behind continuous improvement through focused training and development of operations staff.
- Supply Chain Evaluation - Actively investigate and vet new and emerging suppliers, innovations and systems to provide value to the company and help differentiate EllisDon in the marketplace.
- Emerging Technology - Initiate and oversee research and development initiatives to help mitigate risk on EllisDon sites and advance our leadership position in the industry related to facades, prefabrication, energy performance, low carbon construction etc.
- Leadership - Organize, supervise and develop a high-performing team of professionals through continuous mentorship, coaching and motivation.
What We Expect:
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in the industry with predominant focus on facades and building science subject matter.
- You are passionate, intrinsically motivated, enthusiastic about building science
- You have a thorough understanding of the design, construction, functionality and best practices of the various enclosure systems, including curtain wall, window systems, masonry, precast, metal panel, EIFS, waterproofing and roofing systems and have demonstrated experience in addressing project risk in these areas
- You have experience in procurement of facade systems, supply chain evaluations, detailed design development, fabrication methods, shop drawing reviews, hygrothermal modelling softwares, forensic investigations, and quality control systems.
- You embrace ambiguity and deliver a practical approach to delivering effective technical risk mitigation strategies to our project teams.
- You have strong leadership skills with the ability to coach, advise, and guide individuals to improve their individual technical skills and optimize the team's impact.
- No matter how serious things become you are able to step back, smile, and have fun at work.
- Ability to ride a unicycle is not required but would be considered an asset
EllisDon is proud to provide this unique career opportunity that provides continuous learning, opportunity for growth, and a competitive compensation package within an environment that is committed to inclusion and respects diversity.
Go ahead and be yourself. We'll pay you for it!
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of any age, culture, subculture, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, nationality, ethnicity, race, size, mental or physical status, veteran status, religion, language, political opinion, working-style preference, family status, education, and socio-economic status. The EllisDon core values of Integrity and Mutual Respect welcomes everyone, at work and in the community, and our value of Mutual Accountability, means that we all have a role to play. As an EllisDon employee, this will ultimately be your commitment to Inclusive Diversity.
Accommodation for Applicants with disabilities will be made during the recruitment process when requested.
We are committed to providing a positive candidate experience and ensuring timely updates are provided to all candidates. If you haven’t already, be sure to create a profile on our Careers page here to remain up to date on the status of your application and learn about new career opportunities as they arise.